Parmigiano Panko Herb Encrusted Chicken Breasts
This is my version of Italian Fried Chicken. Well I am a Southern girl after all & do love fried chicken so I thought this would be a good marriage of the two! I’ve been crazy for Panko lately & just love the texture & crunch that it gives, all the while being light & airy! Crazy I know, but true.
These cook oh so quickly too because of the thinness of the chicken, so keep an eye on them. I think there is something truly therapeutic about pounding things with a mallet & do it every time I can. My version of therapy I suppose. LOL. If you don’t have a mallet, use a rolling pin or even a cast iron pan. I should mention that your mallet will need to be smooth not serrated *wink wink* you don’t want to impale your chicken and distribute plastic wrap throughout it either! Just sayin’.
Use your judgment with the amount of cheese and panko you’d like to add. Remember you’re making this for your family and your tastebuds. Sometimes I go a little heavier on the Parmigiano (no surprise there) and of course be sure to let your chicken rest before serving so that they’re juicy & succulent!
I prepared these with Peperonata the other evening and just loved the flavors together!
Want another great way to make this? Yeah you do …
Try making Parmigiano Panko Chicken and Honey Biscuits!
What You Will Need:
- 4-6 chicken breasts (enough for your family)
- olive oil
- panko flakes – enough for breading
- 1 1/2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano – grated
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
What To Do:
- Trim chicken breasts of any excess fat. Cover chicken with a piece of plastic wrap. Pound them out with a mallet until they're about 1/4" thick.
- In a large deep sided pan (I used my chicken fryer) over medium-high heat, put enough olive oil to pan fry your chicken breasts.
- WHILE oil is heating, place panko flakes into a pie dish (or another dish large enough to bread your chicken). Add Parmigiano, basil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork. Press chicken breasts into Panko mixture, breading chicken on both sides. Continue until all chicken is breaded.
- Place breaded chicken breasts into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Turning as necessary. Careful not to crowd the pan (do batches if necessary) Roughly 3 minutes per side depending on the thickness of chicken. Allow chicken breasts to rest before serving.