Chocolate Nutella Molten Lava Cake
horns blowing* Happy World NUTELLA Day *streamers flying* !!! You know I am supah excited about an entire day dedicated to one of my most favorite things evah! NUTELLA! A big thank you to our hostesses: Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso.
And to celebrate this oh so special day I naturally wanted to come up with a special, over-the-top recipe & what better way to celebrate than with a CAKE? Not just any cake, oh no, it had to be one worthy of my longtime love… Nutella!
So I sat down & was spooning Nutella into my mouth waiting for inspiration to strike & it did (I’m not telling how much Nutella I consumed to get to that epiphany, that’s between me & my love LOL)! Evviva! Well, after many options (I’ll get to the others eventually. As you know by now I’m on a quest to come up with 101 Nutella recipes) I settled on *da da da* CHOCOLATE NUTELLA MOLTEN LAVA CAKE *swoon* !
WARNING! This is not for the faint of heart! It’s an insanely DECADENT cake! I’m talking sugar coma levels of decadent, so I suggest you share one with your sweetie! I know you won’t want to share, but go ahead & trust me on this one (they’ll certainly thank you) Speaking of sweeties, this would be an AH-MAZING VALENTINE dessert! It’s pretty sexy if I say so myself. Look at it just sitting there all pretty & then with one touch of the fork, all of the warm, gooey, luscious Nutella chocolate middle just seeps out… *drool* Told you it was pretty sexy!
It’s the best of all worlds. You have your cake on the outside & then a luscious creamy warm pudding like center! The chopped hazelnuts lend a bit of texture & tie in nicely with the Nutella & then the strawberries, ah those beautiful little berries, they’re there to help you dip into that creamy middle…. I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about this dessert! Where’s my fork? LOL
A few things to remember: please GENEROUSLY grease your ramekins, don’t be shy with this people, you want those babies to slide right out. If they stick your cakes will fall apart & you’ll have a plate of goo. It will be a tasty mound of goo, but not the presentation you’re going for! If you don’t have ramekins you can use Pyrex custard cups. Keep an eye on these while there in the oven. You’re looking for cooked outside & soft insides (soft does not mean jiggly) If it jiggles it needs to cook longer. But a minute can make or break you so start checking them for doneness at 10 mins & then every min after. I know it’s high maintenance, but in this case, it’s worth it
If would also be lovely with some ice cream or even some fresh whipped cream! Go ahead & get crazy!
Chocolate Nutella Molten Lava Cake
What you’ll need:
6 ounces of bittersweet Chocolate Chips (I used Ghiardelli)
3 whole eggs + 3 additional egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar + 2 additional tablespoons
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons Nutella
1/4 cup chopped Hazelnuts
What to do:
1. Place your butter & chocolate chips into a double boiler and allow to melt completely over the steaming water. Stir frequently.
2. WHILE the chocolate butter is melting. Place eggs and sugar into the bowl of your mixer. With the whisk attachment mix on medium-high speed until they become light & thick (about 8-9 mins). When light & thick add the flour & mix together.
3. SLOWLY & GRADUALLY pour the chocolate/butter mixture into the egg mixture. Mixing on low until well combined & develops a glossy sheen (about 5-6 mins).
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. WHILE the mixture is finishing it’s final mixing (turning glossy) GENEROUSLY spray 4 small ramekins with cooking spray. When the batter is finished it’s time to assemble:
5. Place sprayed ramekins onto a cooking tray. Ladle batter HALFWAY up the side of each ramekin. Then, spoon 1 tbsp of Nutella into each ramekin. Finish ladling remainder of batter into each ramekin (do not overfill). Bake ramekins for 1o-14 mins until outside is solid and top appears to be soft (but NOT jiggly)
6. WHILE cakes are cooking, chop your walnuts & cut your strawberries. When cakes are ready CAREFULLY remove them from oven, place a plate on top of each one and quickly invert it. With a kitchen towel remove the ramekin, cake should fall right out. Garnish with nuts & strawberries. Serve immediately!