Spaghetti with Kale and Tomato Sauce
Did any of you happen to have any extra pounds just jump on you over the holidays? I looked down and all the sudden my pants were tight. GAH! Tight pants are just not fun. I don’t care who tells you they are. They aren’t! So instead of crying over it I decided to do something about it. I started a little juicing thing. I know right who am I? So if I seem a little crabby you’ll know why ; ) I’m not doing a radical juicing (cause I would end up hurting someone without food food) I’m starting out slowly with one glass in the morning and one later in the day when I’m craving sweets. It’s giving me the extra veggies I need and keeping me full in between “chewing” meals.
So what am I eating in between those glasses? My regular food of course. There’s no way I could ever give up pasta. It’s just not going to happen. This is a simple pasta dish that in moderation I don’t feel bad about eating (and who am I kidding, I don’t really feel bad about eating any pasta). I happen to have lots of KALE in the house. I’ve been getting these beautiful bunches from my CSA every week and mostly it’s been to feed into my juicer.
This is a recipe I typically would add Arugula to but today instead I swapped it out for Kale. I had it on hand and I really am a firm believer that you should use what you have on hand. It’s not only a gorgeous sauce, it added a really nice texture and crunch to the pasta.
Kale is absolutely fantastic for you. If you want to incorporate more Kale into your diet check out:
What You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 26.46 ounces chopped tomatoes - I used Pomi`
- 4 large kale leaves - stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti
What To Do:
- Place a large pot of generously salted water onto boil. When boiling add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain.
- Into a medium sauce pan over medium heat add: oil, garlic and tomatoes. Season with salt/pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring as necessary. Add kale. Stir to combine. Continue cooking an additional 10 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce pan. Toss to combine.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately.