Benefits of 100% Natural Florida Orange Juice
This post brought to you by Florida Orange Juice. All opinions are 100% mine.
Our crazy busy schedules often make it challenging to maintain a healthy diet and manage a balanced lifestyle, but consuming a diet rich in nutrients is important to give us the energy and nutrition we need to help conquer the day.
Nationally recognized nutrition expert, Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, has partnered with the Florida Department of Citrus to offer some practical tips to work healthy habits into your spring routine – from the kitchen, to the gym, to your outdoor patio – to help you get the most out of the season.
Did you know?
- One 8?ounce serving of 100 percent orange juice is a good source of potassium and folate and an excellent source of vitamin C. (These are three important nutrients that are under consumed in the United States, according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- One serving of 100 percent orange juice is more nutrient dense than many commonly-consumed 100 percent fruit juices. (A refreshing glass of 100 percent orange juice has no added sugars or artificial sweeteners, which may be found in many fruit juice cocktails and sports drinks.)
- A key recommendation of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans is to increase fruit intake. (One 8-ounce glass of 100 percent orange juice provides half of the USDA-recommended daily fruit intake for most adults, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.)
Here’s a Few Healthy Tips from Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD
- Jumpstart your morning with a nutritious meal that includes protein, fruit and energizing nutrient-dense carbs.
- Think you don’t have time for a complete breakfast? Blend your favorite fruit with 100 percent Florida Orange Juice and low-fat yogurt for a convenient, on-the-go smoothie.
- Want to jazz up your weekend breakfast? Substitute 100 percent Florida orange juice for water in your pancake batter to give your meal a zesty, new taste.
- When looking for a snack, think outside the box before trying to satisfy your cravings from roadside convenience stores or airport kiosks.
- Plan ahead and take a cooler with portable, smart snacks that fit your on-the-go lifestyle like nuts, hummus with veggies, granola bars and 8-ounce cartons of 100 percent orange juice that will help give you the energy and nutrients you need to get through your travel day.
- Outdoor grilling and dining is a great way for your family and friends to enjoy the warmer weather.
- Protein is a vital part of your daily diet, as it provides nutrients and may help satisfy hunger longer than most fats or carbohydrates.
- Choose leaner cuts of beef, pork, and poultry to grill and pair your protein with other nutrient-rich foods, such as high-fiber fruit, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats. Add 100 percent Florida orange juice to marinades for poultry and pork for a refreshing citrus zing and pour a glass of 100 percent orange juice to accompany your meal.
Source:  Rampersaud GC. A comparison of nutrient density scores for 100% fruit juices. Journal of Food Science. 2007;72(4):S261-S266.