Flourless Chocolate Cake
I know what you’re thinking. A cake without flour? I’m the first to admit that it sounds crazy but it’s true and oh so shockingly good. Since it has no flour it’s practically healthy cake right? Okay so not quite but it sounded good. This is the most fantastic gluten free cake I have tasted to date. If you wouldn’t have told me it was flourless before taking a bite I would have never know. It’s chocolate-y, fudge-y, and so decadent you’ll want a glass of milk nearby.
I have wanted to make a cake since we returned home from HERSHEY PARK. The loverly Anna loaded me up with Hershey’s chocolate while I was there and there’s no chance that it was going to go to waste. Hello choco-holic here.
I made this using Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Chips but semi-sweet or dark would be finger licking good as well. Take your pick, make it as one large cake (in a 9″ spring form pan) or as 8 ramekins. I’m going for the ramekins so I can TRY to keep myself from eating too much. Operative word here is try. Chocolate is my cryptonite.
Don’t be alarmed when it puffs up in the oven like s souffle because it will. It will fall and fall hard as soon as it’s outside of the oven. It develops this crunchy thin layer that will crack but again no worries, it gives way to a moist fudgy chocolate interior and that’s what’s important.
It’s pretty amazing with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. The things I try for you. I’m such a giver ; ) Or perhaps a raspberry sauce? Looks like I’ll have to experiment a little further. I love you all so.
Disclaimer: There is an affiliate link in this post.
Inspired and adapted from Shaina Olmanson’s Flourless Chocolate Cakes, via Desserts in Jars
What You Will Need:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces Hershey's milk chocolate chips
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- powdered sugar - dusting
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 8 - 7 ounce ramekins OR a 9" spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Into a large microwave safe mixing bowl add butter and chocolate chips. Use melt feature if available OR microwave at 30 second intervals stirring after each until completely melted.
- Let chocolate cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks one at a time.
- Into your mixing bowl add egg whites. Using a whisk beat until stiff peaks are formed. Add sugar. Beat until glossy.
- To chocolate mixture add half of egg whites. Mix to combine. Carefully fold in remaining half. Equally distribute mixture between ramekins (or pour completely into 9" spring form pan)
- Bake for 35-45 minutes OR until cake pulls away from sides.
- Dust with powdered sugar.