Slow Cooker Mushroom Risotto
We’ve been on a slow cooker tare around our house lately. The biggest reason is that I’m just B-U-S-Y. Most days I feel like a taxi driver. So much so, I’m thinking of painting our Suburban yellow. But then it would probably look like a submarine or a school bus and we wouldn’t want that. Because of our crazy sauce schedule, there isn’t as much time as I would like to cook. Instead of eating out every night, which my budget and waistline can’t take, we’ve been leaning on our trusty slow cooker for help. That and pasta. Lots and lots of pasta dishes.
Risotto is typically not something I would make when I’m rushed. There is stirring involved. Lots and lots of stirring. I love the stirring but making it the traditional way will have to wait for the weekends now. Sadly my cravings for risotto don’t always wait until my schedule allows. What’s a girl to do? Try it in a slow cooker that’s what. It couldn’t be easier and comes together quicker than you would imagine. I used Progresso’s Creamy Parmesan Basil Cooking Sauce as the base for this recipe. There’s 5 new Progresso Recipe Starters Cooking Sauce in total. If you’d like to try them out click on this link for a coupon for Progresso’s recipe starters Cooking Sauce
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Progresso. I was compensated for my time and recipe development. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
What You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion - minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 18 ounces Progresso creamy parmesan basil cooking sauce
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups dry white wine - divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino
What To Do:
- Turn slow cooker to 275 degrees (or low setting) add butter and melt. Add onion and saute for a few minutes until softened.
- Add rice, stir to coat. Add cooking sauce, wine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Place lid on slow cooker and cook for one and half hours or until rice is creamy and al dente.
- During last 15 minutes of cook time add mushrooms. Stir to combine. If mixture is too thick add additional wine at this time (1/4 cup - 1/2 cup)
- When rice is finished cooking add cheese. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.