Chicken with Spicy Mustard Sauce
Since we’re all friends here, I have a confession to make. A deep dark ugly culinary one. I can’t make rice. I KNOW, the shame. I can make risotto standing on my head blindfolded but regular rice, not so much. It turns out sticky, goopy, all adjectives that should not be associated with rice. I think it’s the leaving it alone part that I can’t handle. I am a tinker-er, a stir-er at heart. I NEED to be interactive with my cooking. And okay yes a total control freak if you must know. So what do I do when I need to make regular rice. I use my rice cooker.
I decided to leave better enough alone and turn my rice making over to a professional – rice cooker that is. When I first admitted defeat I tried purchasing a smaller, what I like to call
cheap frugal rice cooker. I should have saved my money. It made rice about as well as I did.I had almost given up on rice until I was introduced to ZOJIRUSHI rice cookers. They’re like the Ferrari of rice cookers. I kid not. Now I make perfect rice. Every. Single. Time.
You can “add the 5th dimension of flavor with our Umami micom rice cooker and warmer. Umami also referred to as savoriness, is said to be the fifth taste after sweetness, sourness, saltiness, and bitterness. Our Umami menu setting soaks and steams the rice longer for enhanced depth of flavor. Each rice cooker features Micro computerized Fuzzy logic technology, an automatic keep warm feature, delay timer, and easy to read LCD control panel. Menu settings include: white, Umami, mixed, sushi, porridge, sweet, brown, GABA brown, rinse-free, quick cooking and slow cook. 5.5 cup capacity.”
This little beauty has been a kitchen life saver. You see we make a lot of rice dishes in our house because our middle son is gluten intolerant (and well because we like rice). One of my favorite features about our Zojirushi (other than the ridiculously easy clean up and twinkle twinkle song that it plays when the rice is finished – love) is that I can make a HUGE batch – 5 cups and then just place it on the KEEP WARM function for DAYS. When we want rice, we just pop the lid and serve.
Now who wants one? I hope you’re raising your hand because trust me this isn’t one of those kitchen appliances that will sit under your counter. Mine has a coveted spot on the counter top. So enter. Make rice and this chicken. Because it rocks.
GIVEAWAY: 1 Zojirushi Umami® Micom Rice Cooker & Warmer NS-YAC10/18 (ERV $249)
Disclaimer: Zojirushi provided me with a rice cooker and is offering the same to one lucky bell’alimento reader. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
What You Will Need:
- 6-8 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon Tuscan seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chili infused olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 shallot - minced
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf Italian parsley - roughly chopped, optional
What To Do:
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season all sides with salt/pepper and Tuscan seasoning. Set aside.
- Into a large deep sided pan add butter, oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook approximately 8-10 minutes until chicken is browned.
- Into a medium bowl whisk together: broth mustard, Worcestershire, garlic and shallot. Pour mixture over chicken. Reduce to a simmer, cover and allow chicken to continue cooking approximately 20 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Remove chicken to serving plate. If sauce has not reduced by half and thickened, increase heat and continue cooking until so. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.