Shaved Asparagus and Lemon Pizza
I’m not sure why pizza always pops into my mind on Friday’s but it does. Not that it’s not fantastic any other night of the week because it is, but there’s just something about eating pizza on Friday night. Now that has me wondering how much busier pizza delivery guys are on Friday? Hmppph. Seriously though, why order a pizza when you can make one yourself. Might I also add, in less time and for a whole lot less money. Saving money is always good in my book so are options.
Take asparagus for instance. Can you get an asparagus pizza from Papa what’s his name? I don’t think so. At my house, you sure can. I’ve made a white asparagus and prosciutto pizza in the past but I was fascinated when I saw Deb from Smitten Kitchen’s shaved asparagus pizza. I knew I had to give shaving a try. And just like Mikey I liked it. I will admit, it is a little tedious to shave the asparagus (I used my hand mandoline very CAREFULLY might I add a veg peeler might be a better option) but in the end it was worth it.
Next time I think I might try using chili infused olive oil for a little extra kick in the pants.
What You Will Need:
- pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus - shaved
- kosher salt/pepper
- 1/2 lemon - thinly sliced
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough to desired thickness. Place onto a greased baking sheet (or pizza stone.) Drizzle olive oil onto dough. Sprinkle cheeses and top with asparagus. Season with salt/pepper.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes OR until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish with lemon slices.