Conversation Heart Cookies
I have a confession to make. This is the first time I’ve ever decorated cookies with royal icing. My friend Marian from Sweetopia did a rockstar session on cookie decorating at our food conference last November and can I tell you that she makes things look so easy that I thought even I could give this a try. I wanted to make a sweet treat for Valentine’s Day that I could share with my loves. I of course went to Pinterest for cookie inspiration and felt immediately overwhelmed with all of the beautiful designs (currently way out of my league) instead I saw a box of conversation hearts sitting on my table and I thought let’s make a cookie version instead (much tastier than those yucky hearts to be quite honest).
I made the sugar cookies the night before in my KitchenAid Range “Ada” using the convection feature. After they cooled I stored them in an airtight container for safe keeping (aka so the kids wouldn’t find them). Next day, I whipped up a batch of Marian’s royal icing. The hardest part for me was getting the right consistency after a quick you tube search of Marian’s channel for a refresher I was back in business. A little food coloring and voila it’s all pink and shimmery and ready to flood.
After I let it set I added a few fun words and a little heartbeat monitor design for good measure. The writing turned out much thicker than I would have preferred but being I’m NOT a decorator I have a very limited supply of tips. Smallest I had was a #3, next time I’ll be sure to pick up something smaller.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Betty Crocker. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
What You Will Need:
- 1 - 17.5 ounce Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Cookie Mix
- 1/3 cup butter - softened
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal Flour
- 1 egg
- 1 recipe royal icing (http://sweetopia.net/2012/01/royal-icing-recipe-free-illustrated-recipe/)
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir flour into dry cookie mix. Add softened butter, and egg in medium bowl until soft dough forms.
- Roll dough on floured surface until 1/4" thick. Cut with 2" heart shaped cookie cutter and place 1" apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake approximately 5-7 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Cool completely prior to icing.
- Prepare royal icing and tint to desired color, saving a small amount of white icing for writing.
- Place icing into a disposable piping bag fit with a #3 tip. Pipe a heart outline around cookie leaving 1/4 - 1/2" space. Pipe more icing into the middle of cookie. Shake cookie gently to spread icing. Set aside to let icing set.
- When icing is firm, place your reserved white icing into a disposable piping bag fir with a #2 tip. Pipe desired wording onto cookies.