Spiced Roasted Ham with Glaze
I love pork products. Probably more than the average person (well not as much as Chef Michael Symon who has multiple pigs tattoos – but close). So naturally when I had an opportunity to partner with the National Pork Board it was a big giant no brainer. I am official now. Yes officially a Sister Cites of Ham Ambassador (Raleigh – DurHAM) and I have a badge to prove it. A celebration was in order which had to include what else? Ham! This spiced roasted ham with glaze. It’s a showstopper and it couldn’t be easier to make. Promise.
The nice folks at the National Pork Board supplied me with a complimentary coupon to pick up a ham. I chose a spiral cut beauty that came in around 7 pounds. You don’t have to use a spiral cut, for me it’s just one less thing to tackle when it comes out of the oven. I’m impatient and let’s be honest, it’s pretty irresistible straight out of the oven. The smells from the spices, the shimmer from the glaze. I can hardly contain myself just thinking about it now.
Because I think everyone should try this spiced roasted ham with citrus glaze recipe (it’s that good and makes a wicked good sandwich the next day with leftovers, you’re welcome) the nice folks at The National Pork Board are giving away a $30 coupon (which by the way will buy a honking big ham enough for say Easter dinner coming up) to one lucky reader!
EDITED TO ADD: Contest has ended. Thank you for your entries. Winner has been notified via email.
1 – $30 coupon good on any ham (expires 12/31/13) TO ENTER:
1. Leave a comment telling us what is your favorite way to prepare ham. For bonus entries (you must leave a separate comment for each entry):
2. Follow bell’alimento on PINTEREST Pin a photo from this post.
3. Follow bell’alimento on TWITTER.
4. Follow @allaboutpork on TWITTER.
Sweepstakes is open to those 18 years of age or older with a valid US mailing address. Odds of winning depend on number of entries. Sweepstakes runs March 18 – March 22, 2013 at midnight EST. One winner will be randomly drawn and notified via email. Winner has 24 hours to reply or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be drawn.
Disclaimer: This post and sweepstakes is sponsored by National Pork Board. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
Recipe slightly adapted and printed with permission from National Pork Board
What You Will Need:
- 6 to 7 pound fully-cooked bone-in ham, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crysals light brown sugar- packed
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Position rack on lowest setting of oven.
- If you are not using a spiral cut ham, into the fat, score a 1/8" diamond pattern into the ham.
- In a small bowl, combine: coriander, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves. Rub spice mixture over all sides of the ham. Place ham, flat side down, in a large shallow roasting pan and cook until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 140 degrees F, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or 15 to 18 minutes per pound.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine: marmalade, orange juice, and sugar.
- Brush marmalade mixture over the ham. Return to the oven and roast for additional 5 minutes, until the glaze is lightly caramelized. Remove ham from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and let rest 15 to 30 minutes prior to slicing.