Panettone French Toast
I am one of those people that absolutely ADORES Panettone. I look forward to it EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. I stock up when I see those gorgeous boxes adorning the stores starting in July. Okay not really July but Christmas comes earlier and earlier each year and it seems like July when they start putting everything out to me. None-the-less. Hooray for Panettone. I believe it’s in the fruit cake camp. You either love it or loathe it. Fruit cake I strongly dislike (Sorry Grandma. Sorry Mom) Panettone on the other hand I’m for. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Did I mention how much I like it?
My favorite way to eat Panettone is sliced and toasted. Simple and sublime. Sadly not everyone in my house loves Panettone. I know. GASP. I have found that if I transform it into PANETTONE BREAD PUDDING or Baked Panettone French Toast they come running. Whatever it takes for me to enjoy my Panettone I’m all for. The easiest way to make this French toast is to slice the Panettone in half vertically first. Turn it on it’s side and then cut nice thick slices. Once they’re baked you can half the slices for a more petite portion or keep it large and in charge.
A sprinkling of powdered sugar or fresh berries would be a nice addition here but I’m keeping it simple with pure maple syrup. You do what you like.
NOTE: This recipe calls for the whole panettone and yields 10 large pieces of french toast. IF you’re feeding a smaller crowd simply halve the recipe and you’ll be all set. Some for now. Some for later. Options. You know we love ’em.
What You Will Need:
- 1 - 32 ounce Panettone
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Remove paper from Panettone. Slice Panettone in half vertically. Place cut side down. Cut into 5 equal portions (for a total of 10 slices).
- Into a large shallow dish add: eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Dip panettone slices into egg mixture. Tap off excess and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until egg mixture has set.