Light and Buttery Yeast Rolls
Dinner rolls don’t have to come in a bag. I know this because up until a few years my dinner rolls did come in a bag. Once I cast my yeast and bread baking fears into the closet I found out that guess what? It’s just like anything else, with a little practice you’ll be amazed with the results. And there’s little better than hot fresh bread straight out the oven slathered with butter. I know they tell you to wait for the bread to cool but that’s not going to happen in my house. I just can’t help myself and I’m okay with that.
These pull apart bread rolls have a little secret ingredient … butternut squash puree. I’m always trying to incorporate more veggies into our recipes and purees are a great way to do that. Green Giant has a new product called Veggie Blend InsTM They are an easy way to add veggies to your favorite dishes. Get this, they are ALL NATURAL 100% vegetable purees with NO preservatives, NO additives which makes me incredibly happy. Flavors include: Carrot, Butternut Squash and Spinach and you can find them on Amazon.com. There are endless possibilities for these purees in both sweet and savory recipes. Just pour, blend and serve.
My entire family devoured these rolls and were none the wiser that there was good for you veggies inside. I let them in on my little secret half way through and they continued on until the entire skillet was done. Okay I helped. A lot. Sigh.
This recipe makes 23 rolls. We like to cook one pan and save the other pan to bake for the following night. Otherwise I’d have a hard time controlling myself and I’m already on the treadmill long enough each day if you know what I mean.
Don’t forget a brush or two of melted butter and savory herbs. Who wants a naked dinner roll.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Green Giant. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
What You Will Need:
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole milk - warm
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 pouches) Green Giant Veggie Blend In's butternut squash puree
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups 00 flour
- olive oil to drizzle
- melted herb butter - optional
What To Do:
- In stand mixer bowl add: yeast, milk, water, butter, salt, sugar, squash puree and 5 cups flour. Mix until a dough ball forms. Add additional flour if necessary.
- Using dough hook, knead dough until smooth and tacky, approximately 6-8 minutes. Add additional flour if necessary.
- Drizzle olive oil into bowl and turn dough ball until coated. Cover bowl with kitchen towel and allow dough to rise until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and form into ball. Using a kitchen scale to measure, section off 2 1/4 ounce pieces (you should have 23 total) and form into rolls.
- Place rolls in two greased cast iron skillets or 9 inch round baking pans. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Brush with optional melted herb butter.