Homemade Lemon Curd
Pucker up! I hope you like lemons as much as I do. I’m a lemon head. Always have been. In fact, I was THAT kid that loved to eat lemons. I think my Dad probably thought it would be funny to watch a toddler try and eat a lemon slice and then was surprised when I didn’t spit it out and continued to eat it like it was candy (and yes lemon heads are high on movie candy list). If it has lemon in it I’m hoping on board the tart train. Period.
I could eat this lemon curd with a spoon and I did. This recipe yields a little less than 2 cups. You might get 2 cups if you don’t dip into it like I did before remembering to measure. I’m not sure if you’ve ever noticed how much lemon curd costs in the market but it’s not cheap. Good thing it’s super easy to make at home and uses ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Butter, Sugar, Eggs and Lemons. 4 ingredients and about 15 minutes are what you need to make this happen. Once you have your lemon curd, besides eating it with a spoon, because you will, you can use this to make umpteen things. I’m going to be making a few of my favorites things and share them with you over the next little bit because I’m a giver. In the meantime whip this curd up so you’ll be ready.
And guess what? Because we used Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs you don’t have to worry about dipping your tasting spoon (or finger who am I kidding) into the bowl while you’re making it.
I don’t have to worry about my eggs because I know when I use Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs they’re SAFE. “Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs are pasteurized in an all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process to eliminate the risk of Salmonella. The vast majority of eggs sold in grocery stores are NOT pasteurized. Safest Choice™ offers peace of mind when making recipes calling for raw or undercooked eggs, and removes the worry of cross contamination.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Safest Choice Eggs. I am an ambassador for Safest Choice Eggs and part of the Darling Dozen. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are 100% my own.
What You Will Need:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter – room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Davidson's Safe Choice eggs + 2 additional Davidson's Safe Choice egg yolks
- 3/4 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
What To Do:
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until it’s light and creamy.
- Add egg, one a time, mixing after each egg.
- Add lemon juice and continue mixing. Note: mixture will look similar to cottage cheese but will become silky and smooth during cooking process.
- Transfer mixture to a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Place over medium-low heat, stirring often, for approximately 10 minutes OR until mixture thickens. If the mixture is not thickening, increase your heat slightly and continue to stir.
- Transfer cooled mixture to desired air tight containers/jars. Seal and refrigerate until ready to use.