Chewy Power Protein Bars
My littles get out of school NEXT week. I’m having a hard enough time dealing with the fact that it’s already JUNE and on top of that it is the end of school year. Pass the wine. While I will enjoy the laid back slow mornings, because y’all know that I am not, nor will I ever be a morning person (my dream of owning a farm complete with a big green tractor is held up because of this and okay a big fat down payment as well) I’m dreading hearing the “I’m BORED” or “What’s there to eat” every two seconds. Maybe it’s just my kids? Time to start cranking out the homemade snacks.
We don’t keep a lot of processed food in the house. I (and everyone in our house) have zero willpower in the junk food department (sigh ’tis true). If it’s around I’m going to cave. THEN the guilt kicks in and it will make my treadmill sessions a lot longer than they have to be. So I stock up on fruits and homemade snacks the majority of the time. I’ve recently become obsessed with a certain KIND of bar. After a few trials in the kitchen I’ve come up with a homemade version that we’re obsessed with. These bars are packed with REAL ingredients and are perfect for snacking on. I like to make a double batch at night, let them cool completely and then store them in an airtight container, ready to go when the craving hits.
Speaking of REAL ingredients. I’ve partnered with The REAL Seal to bring you a few recipes that showcase REAL dairy products. Did you know that The REAL® Seal is the only assurance that what you are buying is made entirely with the wholesome goodness of U.S.-produced cow’s milk? When you buy only products with the REAL® Seal, you can trust that you are buying only products or foods made from cows milk produced in the U.S. Milk and dairy foods are a core part of a healthy diet recommended by the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA). The DGA recommends 3 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk or milk products for those 9 years or older, 2.5 servings for those 4-8 years old, and 2 servings for those 2-3 years old. Americans are currently consuming about 2 dairy servings per day on average (1.8).
Real dairy makes a difference!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by REAL® Seal. Opinions are mine. Always have been. Always will be.
What You Will Need:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons unsalted REAL seal butter (plus additional to butter pan)
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup craisins
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Onto a rimmed baking sheet place: oatmeal, almonds, pumpkin seeds and coconut. Toss to combine. Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees.
- Butter an 8 x 10 deep sided baking dish. Set aside.
- Into a large sauce pan add: butter, syrup, brown sugar, salt, vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in toasted mixture and crasins.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Pressing down with spatula. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Allow bars to cool at room temperature for several hours. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.